Under-strength Gor Mahia beats Homeboyz in Machakos

Under-strength Gor Mahia beats Homeboyz in Machakos

Gor Mahia move to the second spot in the KPL Log

Gor Mahia overcame the drowsiness of lack of training thanks to a go slow to beat Kakamega Homeboyz 2-1 and move to second on the Kenyan Premier League table. Gor who had only four players on the bench came from a goal down with Francis Mustafa and Boniface Omondi striking second half goals to give Hassan Oktay’s side the victory.

Gor had to field a slim squad with the players having been on strike due to unpaid allowances and February salaries and only 15 turned up for their match against Homeboyz. It seemed to be going Homeboyz’s way after Luke Namanda had given them the lead, but nervous defending from two long throws saw Gor pick victory.

It was a slow encounter with few chances. Homeboyz had the first go at goal after 11 minutes when Ali Bhai’s low corner was missed by everyone in the box landing on Sosthenes Idah’s feet but the centre back skied the shot.

In the 26th minute, Gor had their first real foray at goal when off a counter attack, Nicholas Kiokurui put Erisa Ssekisambu through with a delightful through pass but the Ugandan hit the effort high from the right.

Late in the first half Gor came close when Boniface Omondi’s kick straight from a corner hit the post while his effort on the rebound was turned behind for a corner by keeper David Juma.

The game picked up in the second half with Gor showing intent early, Lawrence Juma’s shot from distance being saved by keeper Juma.

Homeboyz got into the lead just three minutes later when Namanda chipped the ball over an advancing Peter Odhiambo after being played through by Ali Bai.

But Gor, kept the pressure and left back Geoffrey Ochieng showed intent in the 61st minute with a rifling shot from distance punched away for a corner by Juma. It was Ochieng who would however manufacture Gor’s two goals.

Mustafa volleyed Gor level in the 67th minute from inside the box after Homeboyz struggled to clear the ball off an Ochieng long throw. Two minutes later, the home side was 2-1 up in almost similar fashion.

A long throw wasn’t cleared away and the final ball fell on Omondi who struck low, the ball taking a wicked deflection to move beyond Juma.

Read more on : Kpl

Recommended to you