Oliech on a brace as Gor cage Zoo, AFC stopped by Vihiga

Oliech on a brace as Gor cage Zoo, AFC stopped by Vihiga

Gor Mahia's rise continues as Bandari falters again

Legendary striker Dennis Oliech scored a goal in either half as Kenyan Premier League defending champions Gor Mahia ran rout hitting Zoo 4-0 at the Green Stadium in Kericho on Wednesday evening. This is the fourth consecutive time that Gor are hitting Zoo four goals in a league fixture.

The victory takes Gor Mahia to 35 points, one behind leaders Sofaraka who won 3-1 against Mount Kenya United in Machakos.

Gor broke the deadlock in the 18th minute through midfielder Kenneth Muguna who was making a return from injury. This is the second time Muguna has scored against Zoo. Oliech then doubled Gor’s lead two minutes later for a 2-0 halftime lead.

The reigning champions continued from where they had stopped in the second half scoring two late goals. Nicholas Kipkurui stepped off the bench to score against his former employers in the 81st minute before Oliech completed his brace a minute later.

Bandari meanwhile dropped down to third after failing to win in a fourth consecutive match, Kakamega Homeboyz completing a home and away swoop with a 2-1 victory in Mombasa. Bandari went up early through Shabaan Kenga’s fifth minute goal but Festo Omukoro restored parity five minutes to the break.

Thinking they would hold on for a vital point, Bandari were deflated when David Odhiambo made the best of a goalmouth melee to poke home an 89th minute winner off a corner.

Sofapaka meanwhile remained top of the standings after beating Mount Kenya 3-1, with Mike Oduor scoring a second half brace. Stephen Waruru took Sofapaka up early in the fourth minute before Timonah Wanyonyi equalized for the visitors.

However, Oduor scored twice in quick succession in the 63rd and 65th minutes to seal the deal for Sofapaka. Mount Kenya were reduced to 10 men after keeper Philip Odhiambo was sent off in the 79th minute.

Elsewhere in Kakamega, AFC Leopards were headed to a well worked 2-1 win over Vihiga United before Amos Kigadi scored in stoppage time to force a 2-2 draw.

Whyvonne Isuza had scored a brace in between Chris Masinza’s 31st minute penalty.

Read more on : Kpl

Recommended to you