Lokuwam goal takes Gor closer to title

Eliud Lokuwam’s goal 12 minutes from time earned Gor Mahia a hard fought scrappy 1-0 win over Chemelil Sugar as the league leaders edged closer and closer to retaining their KPL title. Lokuwam, signed in January from Lodwar came on as a sub and made the most of his best chance of the game.

The striker has found playing time hard to come by and has been given rare chances. He ensured his latest opportunity in a hugely overhauled Gor squad.

The victory took Gor 17 points clear at the top of the standings and with two wins in their next two games, they will be champions for a record 17th time.

With one eye fixed on Saturday’s CAF engagement against Rayon Sport in Kasarani, none of Gor Mahia’s first team players had even a slot on the bench. Coach Dylan kerr chose to give everyone a rest with not much risk involved in the league as they are more or less close to be crowned champions.

A scrappy game had its first chance

After 14 minutes when Bernard Ondiek’s shot from inside the box flew wide after a goalmouth scramble off a Wesley Onguso corner. Four minutes later, Chemelil keeper Richard Aimo pulled off a brilliant double save to keep his side into contention, saving one on one from Ephraim Guikan and Ondiek’s effort from the rebound.

Chemelil struggled to create chances and tried to catch Gor off the break. In the 28th minute, a through ball was threaded to Bernard Biko, buthe wasn’t fast enough to it as Odhoji came off his line to clear.

Nine minutes from the break, Felix Oluoch had the sugar millers’ first effort on target with his header off a Francis Ochollah cross from the right heading straight into Odhoji’s arms.

Gor were forced into a change two minutes to halftime with Guikan being forced out injured after a heavy collision with the Chemelil keeper going for a high ball. His place was taken by Innocent Wafula.

There wasn’t much to talk about in the second half from a scrappy display, none of the two sides being able to keep the ball for more than five touches.

Lokuwam came on for Samuel Onyango in the 68th minute and just 10 minutes on, he took advantage of a confusion between the Chemelil keeper and his defense to win the ball and slam into an empty net.

Read more on : Kpl

Recommended to you