Cristiano Ronaldo Fined and Banned for Two Matches by FA after Phone Incident

Cristiano Ronaldo Fined and Banned for Two Matches by FA after Phone Incident
Cristiano Ronaldo

The 37-year-old had been charged with 'improper conduct' by the FA after an altercation with a fan at Goodison Park last April.

Former Manchester United striker and Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has been fined £50,000 and handed a two-match ban by the England Football Association (FA) for smashing a fan’s phone to the ground. 

The 37-year-old had been charged with 'improper conduct' by the FA after an altercation with a fan at Goodison Park last April. 

"Cristiano Ronaldo has been suspended for two matches, fined £50,000 and warned as to his future conduct for a breach of FA Rule E3,” a statement released by the FA read.


This news comes just days after Manchester United announced the contract termination of the five-time Ballon D'or winner by mutual consent after his explosive 'tell all' interview with Piers Morgan. 

The FA said that the Portuguese admitted that his conduct had been improper. 

“The forward admitted that his conduct after the final whistle of the Premier League game between Manchester United FC and Everton FC on Saturday, 9 April 2022, was improper,” the statement further read. 

Ronaldo is permitted to dispute and appeal the punishment. The two-match ban will be served if he decides to remain in England, with Chelsea and Newcastle reportedly interested in him. 

After the incident, Ronaldo took to Instagram to apologize to the fan. 

"It's never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing. Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful and patient and set an example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

“I would like to apologize for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship,” he wrote. 

However, the mother of the 14-year-old Jake, whose phone was smashed, said Jake has autism and declined Ronaldo's apology. 

She said Ronaldo is the 'most arrogant man I've ever spoken to' after a 10-minute tense phone call with the former Manchester United star.