Bandari go top of KPL standings as Mathare bounce back

Bandari go top of KPL standings as Mathare bounce back

Bandari on Wednesday beat visiting KCB at Mbaraki stadium in Mombasa to take the lead on the KPL Table.

File Photo

Albeit temporarily, Bandari FC went top of the Kenyan Premier League after a 2-1 home win over KCB at the Mbaraki Sports Club in Mombasa on Wednesday. The victory took the dockers to 45 points, one ahead of second and third placed Gor Mahia and Sofapaka.

The lead might change on Thursday if Sofapaka pick a point against struggling Kariobangi Sharks or on Friday when Gor plays Kakamega Homeboyz at Bukhungu.

Elsewhere, Mathare United moved fourth after a 3-2 win over Nzoia Sugar at Kasarani while Enosh Ochieng strengthened his golden boot chase with a brace as Ulinzi beat Western Stima in Kakamega.

Meanwhile, relegation fighting Mount Kenya United and Zoo Kericho picked vital wins to aid their hope of survival. Moynt Kenya who were on a streak of six successive losses won 4-3 against Chemelil in Machakos while Zoo beat fellow relegation strugglers Vihiga United 1-0 in Kericho.

Despite the results, the positions on the table don’t change with Mount Kenya remaining five points adrift on 15 points but Zoo have brought themselves level with Vihiga but with an inferior goal difference.

At the Kasarani Stadium in Nairobi, Mathare came into the tie against Nzoia with a baggage of back to back losses that they needed to shed off their backs and they were out to banish that run. And they did exactly that with Clifford Alwanga striking twice after Kevin Kimani’s opener.

They got into business early and broke the deadlock after three minutes when Kimani’s shot off a cross from Cliff Nyakeya was deflected into the net.

Nzoia however drew parity in the 11th minute through Vincent Ngesa simply tapped the ball home after Geoffrey Wandera had nodded back a set piece delivered to the back post.

But, Mathare got their lead back four minutes later when Alwanga scrambled the ball home at the near post from another of Nyakeya’s deliveries from the right. They almost had another one off wing play, this time James Kinyanjui feeding off David Owino whose shot was blocked by the keeper.

The visitors almost drew level after 31 minutes when Jackson Dwang volleyed home from inside the box when he connected to a Thomas Wainaina freekick but it went straight to keeper Allan Owiny.

Kimanzi’s men kept their surge in the second half and regained their two goal cushion in the 65th minute when Alwanga dived in to head a well delivered cross from left back Owino.

Read more on : Kpl

Recommended to you