April 21, 2024

AFCON to go ahead as planned, insists CAF boss Motsepe

AFCON to go ahead as planned, insists CAF boss Motsepe
Patrice Motsepe

Reports emerged last week that the upcoming tournament was under threat of being postponed due to global increasing Corona Virus cases.

Confederation of African Football president Patrice Motsepe has put rumours over the Africa Cup of Nations being postponed ‘to bed’ with a recent statement.

Reports emerged last week that the upcoming tournament was under threat of being postponed due to global increasing Corona Virus cases.

The rearranged tournament is due to start in Cameroon in less than three weeks, and Motsepe, who is currently in Cameroon, insists it will be going ahead.

“I will be in Cameroon for the Africa Cup of Nations on January 7th,” he said in an interview with a Cameroon news channel on Monday.

According to Press Association journalist Rob Harris, meetings were due to take place on Monday between CAF and the Cameroon government to discuss the fate of AFCON.

Europe’s top clubs have already reportedly made their stance clear to FIFA, according to France 24.

The European Club Association told the governing body: “With regards to applicable protocols, as far as we are aware, CAF (the Confederation of African football) has not yet made available a suitable medical and operational protocol for the AFCON tournament, in the absence of which clubs will not be able to release players for the tournament.”