Sony Sugar holds AFC at Mumias Complex

Sony Sugar holds AFC at Mumias Complex

Hosts AFC Leopards shared the spoils with Sony Sugar in a rescheduled and well attended Kenyan Premier league first leg match played at Mumias Complex on Wednesday afternoon. Allan Wanga’s second half header cancelled Enock Agwanda’s first half goal to give both teams a worthwhile point.

AFC Leopards’s Bernand Mang’oli got the first chance of the game but his distant shot was an easy pick for Sony keeper Wilson Obungu. Sony replied with a long throw into the AFC box but Nahimana rose to head the danger out.

Mike Baraza then weaved his way into Sony Sugar box but Kilonzo Tumba blocked his final shot for a non-resultant corner.

Leopards looked comfortable in the midfield but Sony were utilizing well the chances they got. Enock Agwanda went close with two free headers while Marwa Chamberi was a constant thorn to the Ingwe defense.

Ingwe won the first four corners of the game with new boy Idrissa Rajaab sending good balls but Sony did well to maintain the 0-0 scoreline.

27 minutes into the match Sony's Francis Ocholla tried a long range shot that veered off target giving no much worry to keeper Barnabas Tiema who was called into duty with the absence of the sick Patrick Matasi.

AFC Leopard’s Misse Mwangi tried his luck with a long range shot but couldn’t find the target.

Five minutes to the interval Sony were on the offensive. Marwa Chamberi’s headed pass found Enock Agwanda who controlled the ball well before unleashing his shot that went inside the net for the opener. Sony led 1-0 at the half time break.

At the beginning of the second period, AFC Coach Jans Koops brought in Jimmy Bageya for Edwin Seda while Zico opted for Silas Shitote in place of first goal provider Marwa Chamberi.

AFC defender Eric Masika had the first chance of the second period with a header that went wide.

Allan Wanga got the equalizer in the 56th minute with a crisp header from a free kick. Koops immediately introduced Charles Okwemba for Abbas Kiwalabye in a bid to boost the attack.

In the 67th minute Jimmy Bageya made a brilliant solo run and effort that that was deflected for a corner .The Ugandan was it again a minute later but his final pass to Allan Wanga was intercepted.

Sony substitute Vincent Ogutu played selfishly when he opted for a shot instead of a pass with quarter of an hour to go.
As the clock ticked, Allan Wanga’s tried another header that went wide before coach Zico threw in his last dice by bringing in Ismael Dunga for Francis Ocholla.

Jimmy Bageya then made a good run and shot that Wanga did not manage to connect to. Sony’s new substitute Ismael Dunga also added some spice to the Sony attacking force as they also had decent runs in the final minutes of the game. Okwemba wasted the final chance of the game to end the match on shared spoils.Leopards could not manage to leap frog Tusker to second position and they stick to third.

“It was important that we did not lose today. We played really well especially in the second half when my players’ morale got a little bit higher than the first half,” AFC Leopards Coach Jan Koops said after the match.

His opposite number Zedekiah Otieno was as grateful for the lone point;

“Playing away from home is never easy and when you get a point it is always better than none. I am happy with my players and happy with the point,” Zico says.

Leopards next face League leaders Sofapaka on Wednesday while Sony will be travelling to Nairobi for a match against Bankers KCB.

More news on : Kpl  \