Homeboyz stun Yanga in SportPesa Super Cup

Homeboyz stun Yanga in SportPesa Super Cup

Allan Wanga's brace helped Kakamega Homeboyz stun giants Yanga Fc in the SportPesa Cup

Photo: Allan Wanga leads Kakamega Homeboyz players in celebrating against Yanga

Kakamega Homeboyz are through to the SportPesa Super Cup semi-finals after stunning Tanzanian giants Yanga, 3-1 in the quarter finals on Sunday afternoon with Allan Wanga scoring a brace as Wycliffe Opondo added a late third.

It was a winning start for new coach Paul Nkata who took charge of the team late this week and the Kakamega based side will now face the winner between Tanzanian champions Yanga and Kariobangi Sharks who play in the third quarter final on Monday.

Yanga who have struggled in the domestic campaign back on Tanzania had the better start and had the first few chances of the game In the seventh minute, Akilimani Baruan dribbled into the box, but keeper Mike Wanyika was quick off his line to collect the ball.

In the 20th minute, Mwinyi Mgwali was presented with a brilliant opportunity with a freekick from the edge of the area, but he went for power instead of precision, the ball thumping the wall and out of danger.

Homeboyz first chance of the game came after 21 minutes when Moses Mudavadi’s shot from the edge of the area went just wide. But seven minutes later, they made the chance count when Wanga stretched to tap in a cross from Hedmond Mauda to make it 1-0.

Wanga doubled his team’s tally five minutes later from the penalty spot after he was fouled by Mgwali. Yanga were guilty of school boy defending and lost the ball sheepishly on a dangerous area.

However, Homeboyz’s lead was halved six minutes from time with Simon Matheo’s sweetly struck freekick from the edge of the box evaded Wanyika and into the net.

Homeboyz had an attacking start to the second half, first Eston Esiye’s freekick from the left almost beating the Yanga keeper at his near post while five minutes later, Mudavadi had an effort with a shot from the right that came off the side netting.

Yanga pressed Homeboyz in their own half as they tried to get the lone goal that would take the game to penalties, but the backline led by Smith Ouko was well marshaled as they dealt with all danger, aerial and ground.

Homeboyz sunk Yanga’s ship two minutes from time when Opondo rounded off the keeper to score the third and give his side an assured victory.

Read more on : Kpl

Recommended to you