Gor lift DSTV Cup after penalty shootout drama

Gor lift DSTV Cup after penalty shootout drama

Gor lift DSTV Cup after penalty shootout drama

Gor vs Tusker

Ivo Mapunda was once again the hero of the spot kicks after saving off Martin Kiiza’s penalty to give Gor Mahia a 5-4 win over holders Tusker FC in the DSTV Super Cup in a match played on Saturday evening at the Nyayo National Stadium.

Tusker will however feel as the better of the two sides after having been forced to play 84 minutes of the match with ten men when keeper Boniface Oluoch was shown straight red for handling the ball outside the box.

Both teams were tied at 3-3 after the first five kicks forcing the penalties into sudden death. Danni Sserunkuma kicked off  the dramatic shoot out positively for Gor scoring the first. Defender Luke Ochieng responded slotting home  with response.

Gor were then slowed down when keeper George Opiyo stopped Moses Odhiambo’s shot with Khalid Aucho slotting home to give Tusker the lead. Edwin Lavatsa scored Gor’s third kick albeit by a touch of luck as it hit keeper Opiyo on the back after rattling the upright.

Gor were back into the match after Maurice Odipo sent his penalty screaming over the bar, thus taking the scores to 2-2. Kelvin Omondi put Gor on the driver’s seat with a cool kick while Mapunda produced brilliance to stop Robert Omnuk’s penalty.

Israel Emuge was tasked with simply scoring the last kick and handing Gor the Cup but he missed his kick. Jesse Were scored the fifth penalty for Tusker to take the game into sudden death.

Donald Mosoti and Joseph Shikokoti scored for both sides. Solomon Nasio then scored the second sudden death kick and it was now up to Mapunda to save the day for K’Ogalo. The Tanzanian did not disappoint just as he did in the finals of the FKF Cup stopping Martin Kiiza’s penalty to give Gor its second DSTV Cup victory.

K’Ogalo failed to take their one man advantage for most of the match. Oluoch was sent for an early shower after he handled Mungai Kiongera’s looped ball after Ivan Anguyo’s pass had beaten the entire Tusker defense line.

Ismail Dunga was sacrificed for keeper Opiyo to come in, and the second choice keeper never disappointed as he pulled off wonderful saves to keep Tusker in the match.

Jesse Were missed the best chance of the match in the 55th minute after he kicked out one on one with keeper Jerry Onyango from a splitting Khalid Aucho pass. In the 65th minute, Danni Sserunkuma was denied by the upright after he tapped Mungai Kiongera’s sweet pass from the left.

Gor will now carry loads of confidence as they prepare to face Anse Re-Union of Seychelles in the CAF Confederations Cup return leg this coming weekend.

Read more on : Kpl

Recommended to you