Late MSC comeback denies Jaguars first league win in 3 years

Late MSC comeback denies Jaguars first league win in 3 years

Late MSC comeback denies Jaguars first league win in 3 years

It dates back to the 2011 season when Western Jaguars tasted their last victory in the Hockey Premier League. They were all set to cut out the bad history from their plates this afternoon but a comeback by Mombasa Sports Club ensured that the Kakamega based side remains winless in three years.

Ronald Ababu’s last gasp drag flick was all the Mombasa side needed as they raced into their first win of the season after drawing against Mvita XI last weekend, beating their opponents 2-1.

Michael Rotich had given Jaguars the lead two minutes to the breather but they will rue the numerous chances they missed including a penalty as they strategize on a new way to get wins.

Jaguars started the match brightly and employed a vicious 4-3-3 attacking formation, showing too well their intentions to bag three points and a valuable win. They had their first chance of the match with Captain Kevin Lugalia shoving from his defensive role dribbling on the flanks before releasing free man Arden Ayuko who had the goal at his mercy but directed his shot wide.

Ken Ashimosi had another chance for the Jaguars sliding and falling on the verge of executing a through pass from Willis Malesi who had done well in spotting the unmarked Ashimosi. Mombasa Sports Club also had their fair share of chances and their best came through Alulu who was denied by the Jaguars keeper Hope Kutwa after Mariano Emadau had shot in a long range pass.

Jaguars had the best chance to open the scores minutes later through a penalty kick but Michael Rotich failed to convert, Collins Wanyonyi judging correctly and jumping to the left to save the day for Mombasa Sports Club.

However, Wanyonyi would not be twice lucky as Rotich made amends in the 33rd minute with a powerful strike after out-stepping two defenders to find space and shoot.

However, the cookie would crumble for Jaguars in the second period as Evanson Alulu drew the teams level just ten minutes from the restart after deflecting a cutting through pass from Victor Gitani.

Jaguars wasted more and more chances especially from poor execution of short corners. They were duly punished with virtually the last kick of the game, Ronald Ababu’s first time drag flick finding the back of the net.

Jaguars Captain Kevin Lugali could not hide his disappointment with the loss especially after creating countless chances that went to waste.

“It was clear that the best team lost. We didn’t take our chances and that was the defining point of the match. My teammates need to keep concentration in the entire match.”  He said.

Read more on : Hockey

Recommended to you