Gor Mahia pips AFC to secure FKF Cup final berth

Gor Mahia pips AFC to secure FKF Cup final berth

Gor Mahia pips AFC to secure FKF Cup final berth

Gor Mahia made it through to the final of the 2012 FKF Cup after a 2-1 win over arch-rivals AFC Leopards in a thrilling match played at Kasarani Stadium on Saturday afternoon. They will meet the winner of the match between Sofapaka and Tusker.

AFC Leopards had the first shot on target through Charles Okwemba who had been singled out by Mike Baraza from the wing but this was an easy pick for Ivo Mapunda. Gor then had their chance with a through ball to Rama Salim needing interception from keeper Patrick Matasi.

Gor Mahia suffered an early setback when Ugandan Dan Sserunkuma got injured and had to be pulled off. Edwin Lavatsa took his place in the 10th minute and did well to fit in his boots.

In the 11th minute, Paul Were won AFC Leopards a corner that Ivo Mapunda saved and immediately put the ball to Edwin Lavatsa who changed wings by  crossing the ball to Kevin Omondi who managed to outpace his marker then beat Matasi for Gor Mahia’s first goal.

In the 18th minute, Paul Were tried to lob past Mapunda but the shot went high. A good shot from Idrissa Rajaab  four minutes later was blocked by Mapunda for a corner that Rama Salim headed out of danger.

Gor Mahia made another fast break but keeper Matasi managed to thwart  Kevin Omondi’ effort on goal.

Two minutes to the end of the first half, Allan Wanga did well to beat Ivan Anguyo but his final pass intended for Mike Baraza went to Ivo Mapunda’s feet.Gor Mahia led 1-0 at the interval.

Ivan Anguyo’s header in the 51st minute saved his club from conceding from a good header by Allan Wanga that had already beaten keeper Ivo Mapunda.

A minute later, Joseph Njuguna’s looped pass found Moses Odhiambo who beat the offside trap to put the ball past Matasi and double Gor Mahia’s advantage.

In the 54th minute, Gor Mahia had another chance when Lavatsa beat Nahimana and placed the ball to Rama Salim’s way but the later was unable to shoot.

Jan Koops then made a double change. Jimmy Bagaye replaced Bernard Mang’oli while Allan Wanga came off for Victor Ochieng.

AFC Leopards continued  to launch more attacks. Paul Were felt aggrieved when he was fouled inside the box but  his counterpart Martin Imbalambala  had neutralized his claims by playing advantage.His shot was saved by Mapunda.

The post came to AFC Leopards rescue and denied Lavatsa a goal after a good Gor Mahia build up.

Twenty minutes to the end, Mapunda did well to stop two successive shots.First it was he denied Okwemba then made an easy meal of Jimmy Bagaye’s straight shot at him.

Charles Okwemba’s beautiful shot ten minutes to the end reduced the deficit and gave the Ingwe faithful’s hope that their team could still comeback.

Oscar Kadenge came on for Paul Were and could have made it 2-2 in the 85th minute had he kept his shot low.

As the clock ticked, Gor Mahia defended to the last man to deny AFC Leopards a late equalizer in what was a nerve cracking end to another Shemeji derby.

Read more on : FKF-Cup

Recommended to you