Sensational Gor Mahia lead striker George “Blackberry” Odhiambo is the KPL 2010 Kenyan footballer of the year. This was announced at a colorful KPL award gala held at the Safari Park hotel in Nairobi on Wednesday evening.
Sports minister Paul Otuoma presided over the ceremony that saw KCB’s forward Ezekiel Odera named best upcoming footballer. Ulinzi captain Stephen Ocholla was runners up in both the Footballer of the year and midfielder of the year categories.
George Odhiambo was quick to thank his fans, KPL and Super sports for the good season.
“I am happy to KPL and more so to Super sports for bringing to Kenya good football and to fans of Gor Mahia I say thank you for your support. For where am going, I will keep Kenya ahead.” Said George Odhiambo.
Ulinzi’s Geoffrey Kokoyo bagged the best defender award while Anthony Kimani of Sofapaka was named best midfielder. Last year’s player of the year John Baraza again walked away with the golden boot award for the second year running.
Western Stima were the most disciplined team while Champions Ulinzi produced the coach of the year, Benjamin Nyangweso.
Despite being sacked by Tusker, Coach James Nandwa and Team Manager Paul Makumi were named as 2nd runners up in the Coaches and Team Manager Categories respectively
Long time soccer loving fanatic Isaac Juma was awarded with the Chairman’s life time achievement award for his outstanding unwavering support to Kenyan soccer. The award was accompanied with a 100 thousands shillings cash award.
All the winners in each individual category walked home with a handsome 100,000 shillings except for the best player's category which was pegged with a 200,000. Runners up in each individual awards pocketed 75,000 shillings while third placed were rewarded with 50,000 shillings.Full ListFootballer of the year
1. George "Blackberry" Odhiambo
2. Stephen Ocholla (Ulinzi)
3. John Baraza (Sofapaka)
“Golden Boot” Award
1. John Baraza (Sofapaka),
2. Ezekiel Odera (KCB)
3. Allan Otindo (Karuturi)Best Midfielder
1. Antony Kimani (Sofapaka),
2. Stephen Ocholla (Ulinzi Stars)
3. Collins Okoth (Gor Mahia)Defenders of the Year:
1. Geoffrey Kokoyo-Ulinzi Stars
2 David Otieno-Sony Sugar
3. James Situma-SofapakaGoalkeeper of the year award
1. Francis Ochieng (Ulinzi Stars).
2. Martin Musalia (Mathare United)
3. Jerim Onyango (Gor Mahia )Best Presenter TV Award
1. Hassan Juma (KTN)
2. Idris Situma (NTV)
3. Mike Okinyi (Citizen)
Best Presenter Radio Award
1. Diamond Okusimba and Toldo Kuria (Radio Jambo)
2.Paul Mcheshi of Milele fm
3.Torome Tirike and Paul Muchiri.
Best Print Journalist
1. Robin Toskin (Standard)
2. Gilbert Wandera(Standard)
3. John Ashiundu(Taifa Leo)Best Photo Journalist
1. Stafford Ondego (Standard)
2. Mohamed Amin (Nation)
3. Chris Omolo (Nation)
1. Isaac Ochieng
2. Nasur Doka
3. Richard Obare Coach of the year
1. Nyangweso Benjamin (Ulinzi).
2. Zedekiah Otieno(Gor Mahia)
3. James Nandwa (Tusker)Team Manager
1. Jack Matanguta( Ulinzi Stars)
2. Jolawi abondo (Gor Mahia)
3. Paul Makumi (Tusker)Most disciplined club
- Western Stima.Fair play player of the year
1. Allan Otindo (Karuturi Sports)
2. George Odhiambo (Gor Mahia)
3. John Baraza (Sofapaka)New Players of the Year (U-20)
1. Ezekiel Odera (KCB)
2. Musa Mohamed (Gor Mahia)
3. Edwin Mwaura (Posta rangers
Like our Facebook Page MICHEZOAFRIKA or follow us on Twitter for latest sports updates.